Baby G blanket

When I make blankets for babies, I like to have the blanket ready in advance so that I can gift it straight away. This time, Baby G had other ideas and he arrived very suddenly some four weeks early and I hadn’t even started his blanket. Still, I had it ready before his January due date, so I like to think I that I wasn’t too late with it.

I think this is a simple but effective little blanket in splendid bright colours. I used my Elmer Squares pattern and made 10 3-round squares in each of the 8 colours. I used Stylecraft Special dk (affiliate link) in Turquoise, Sherbet, Petrol, Lipstick, Spice, Saffron, Grass Green and Kelly Green. I joined them using Sherbet, and the border is one round of Sherbet in dc stitches and then two rounds of Turquoise in either dc or htr stitches (sorry, I can’t remember which and I can’t quite tell from the photo but either would suffice I’m sure!).

I did weigh every ball of yarn after I’d finished so that you’d have the exact amount but I’ve lost the paper that I wrote it down on. I know that it took less than half a ball of every colour, apart from Sherbet and Turquoise where it used more like three quarters of the ball. So, by my reckoning, you could buy one ball of each Petrol, Lipstick, Spice, Saffron, Bright Green and Kelly Green, and two balls of Turquoise and Sherbet, and then make two of these blankets if you wanted to. And that’s less than £20, not bad really.  It measures 62×75 cm and I used a 4mm hook.

I didn’t block this blanket (yes, I know the border isn’t straight!) because I was keen to give it to my friend and she wasn’t bothered about it not being blocked as it was put straight to use. Blankets are meant to be used, and non blocked borders don’t affect the use.

Making baby gifts makes me really happy.

24 thoughts on “Baby G blanket

1. Rosemary Holmes says:

This is just as lovely as always. I received my first Bright Rainbow pack from the courier today in less then 2 weeks from UK to Australia and so beautifully and thoughtfully packaged. I don’t know what I’m going to make yet, but I keep stroking the pack! You are quite inspirational!

2. Rosemary Holmes says:

This is just as lovely as always. I received my first Bright Rainbow pack from the courier today in less then 2 weeks from UK to Australia and so beautifully and thoughtfully packaged. I don\’t know what I\’m going to make yet, but I keep stroking the pack! You are quite inspirational!

3. Pam Green says:

A lovely bright gender neutral blanket. I would never have picked the greens but they work so well. Thanks for the inspiration.

4. Sue says:

You have been missed. I can see that you have been busy.

Your blanket looks very colourful. The bright green is a bit too bright for me but actually looks great in your blanket. I will have to consider using bright green in future.

5. Teresa says:

Wow this is beautiful! I am going to have to break out the crochet hook just to make one like it! I even have leftover Stylecraft DK yarn so there is no excuse. I switched to knitting a while back. But this blanket is making me want to crochet again!! Thanks for sharing!

6. Anne Marie says:

Your work is so incredibly neat Heather, I was thinking of doing a vintage stripe blanket and had done a square just to try to make my mind up. Still cant but your blanket is absolutely gorgeous and it will be around that child’s life for many a year.

7. Heidi says:

Such a GREAT selection of colours! I’m very partial to certain combinations of light green and red, no I’m actually sewing a patchwork quilt right now that uses them. Also, I’m happy to see you back. I’ve been haunting your blog every few days, wondering where you’d gone!

8. Sophie Cromwell says:

Hi Heather,

Do you have an email address I can contact you on? I am from Stylecraft and we just love your work!

9. Cheryl says:

I’ve been wondering about a simple, easy on the brain project for breaks away in the caravan this summer and I’ve just found it! It’s gorgeous, happy and just so inspiring!

10. Cheryl says:

I\’ve been wondering about a simple, easy on the brain project for breaks away in the caravan this summer and I\’ve just found it! It\’s gorgeous, happy and just so inspiring!