Paint Palette Blanket

In my haste to get this little blanket posted off to it’s new home I neglected to photograph it with a border. My sister’s friend welcomed her baby into the world somewhat earlier than expected and I just decided that I wanted to make her a blanket. Blankets help, yes? Or at least they make me feel like I’m doing something helpful.

Anyway, it’s Stylecraft Special dk as usual (all my blankets that I give away are Stylecraft, particularly for babies as it’s washable and hardwearing but also nice and soft.) using a 4mm hook. I didn’t know whether the baby was a boy or a girl (it turns out, a little tiny baby girl) so I just went for a bit of everything. It reminds me of a little box of water colour paints.

I used: Violet, Lavender, Turquoise, Aster, Denim (1st column),

Fondant, Magenta, Sherbet, Cloud Blue, Aspen (2nd column),

Pomegranate, Spice, Saffron, Spring Green, Meadow (3rd column)

and then repeated the colours in mirror order. The outer colour is cream.

The squares were a bit bulgey in places once joined together, I think I was trying to make them very quickly and I sacrificed a bit on quality (bad crocheter) but they straightened out ok with a border. For that I just did a few rounds in Cream, and then a round each in htr stitches of Saffron, Spice and Pomegranate. I did the border once I knew baby was a girl :-)

I really like the look of the solid colours surrounded by cream, I am tempted to do a biiiiiiig version with more colours and more squares. At some point. Perhaps. Or maybe just think about it!

EDIT: Forgot to say that I was inspired by this blanket, which is far more detailed, pretty and better executed than mine.

17 thoughts on “Paint Palette Blanket

1. Anna-Marie says:

A beautiful blanket and it really looks just like a little box of watercolor paints!!! What a lucky little girl!!! Have a great fun filled and fab week!!!!
    Love
    AMarie

2. Jocelyn Nelson says:

I’ve pinned the same blanket ages ago and it’s lovely to see one made up with Stylecraft! The original kit that inspired yours is $780!! Yikes.
    Your looks beautiful and I’m adding the pattern to my list of things to make. Great job!

3. cate says:

I love the solid blocks of colour. I agree with Louise that it’s a more modern take on the traditional granny square. I think I may have found a solution for my large stash!

4. Libby o says:

Blankets do help as my little girl arrived three weeks early. A nice blanket to have cuddles in is always going to put a smile on someone’s facemx

5. Ali whale says:

I love that little blanket. I was inspired to make a baby blanket for the first baby in our family (since I started crocheting) and started with your Elmer square. I adapted it a little and used 9 rainbow colours. It was lovely not to have to think about the colours and to know which colours I was using in order. I can’t see an email on here but if you would like to email me I would love to send you a picture of it as it was this blog that gave me the inspiration.

6. Ali whale says:

I love that little blanket. I was inspired to make a baby blanket for the first baby in our family (since I started crocheting) and started with your Elmer square. I adapted it a little and used 9 rainbow colours. It was lovely not to have to think about the colours and to know which colours I was using in order. I can\’t see an email on here but if you would like to email me I would love to send you a picture of it as it was this blog that gave me the inspiration.

7. Ali whale says:

I love that little blanket. I was inspired to make a baby blanket for the first baby in our family (since I started crocheting) and started with your Elmer square. I adapted it a little and used 9 rainbow colours. It was lovely not to have to think about the colours and to know which colours I was using in order. I can\\\’t see an email on here but if you would like to email me I would love to send you a picture of it as it was this blog that gave me the inspiration.

8. Sue says:

I love this blanket. I must add it to my to do list.

I had seen the original blanket last year but then forgot about it. I prefer your version.

9. Caroline Mulvaney says:

I do like that, your use of colour is a bit different and is very effective. I’m sure your friend was delighted with her gift
    Caz xx

10. Anne Marie says:

Oh yes, I love this one. It really DOES look like a box of paints! I have bought some Baby Cashmerino VERY cheap, at wholesale prices from a young lady who it turns out lives near me and I just had to buy it at the price. I might just do something like this with it. I have still yet to completely master the solid granny but I must as I love it so much.

11. Oh, how funny! I’m working on a very similar blanket from a DK Crochet book that I got from my Simply Crochet magazine subscription! I love your colour mixes x.

12. Joyce Gravino says:

What pattern did you use? I love the background lattice when the squares are attached. I think I found a home for my mini skein collection