One Nice Moment

I looked back over my photos this evening and realised that there were virtually no bloggable photos. Surely I’ve been doing THINGS? Well, we have, but most of them revolve around teaching a small boy to sleep in his bed and not on me. And that’s really boring.

I have been working on my ripple though, after a couple of weeks break to make a little blanket for a new baby cousin. Ok so I suppose I have been doing something, but I haven’t taken any photos on anything other than my ipad and the camera isn’t great on that. There’s something to aim for this week then!

Working on a ripple is very therapeutic and it’s easy and robust enough to pick up and put down around my other important tasks of catering to the random play/toy whims of TTB. It’s funny how specific he is about where he wants his toys to go, like getting all of the duplo people (and the lion!) into the duplo truck at the same time. The rows are long enough too that I can just grab a ball of yarn, the blanket itself and a hook and it’s enough to last for a while. I like making blankets like this rather than with lots of squares as I find it quicker to work a long row than a square, and you don’t have to store lots of little bits while you are making the rest of them. I DO like joining squares up though, that bit is satisfying.

So yes. One nice moment from the last few days: sitting and rippling in the sunshine of TTB’s bedroom while he amused himself with his toys. He is so used to me doing bits of crochet here and there now that he just ignores it and doesn’t try to grab the yarn. Reading that back it makes me seem like all I do is sit and crochet and ignore him – that’s not quite the case as he is very happy doing independent play and often just requires supervision rather than involvement from me. If you’d have told me that when he was a small baby I never would have believed you!

Right, it’s Sunday night and I still need to go and wash up. I will aim to take more photos this week!

x

16 thoughts on “One Nice Moment

1. Anne Marie says:

Lovely ripple. Sometimes you spend your whole days doing things and never realising at the end of them, what you have done. I’ve been doing a crochet jumper and have been working the sleeves to see how much yarn I’m going to need them to keep at the Black Sheep. The front in ripple and the back, well I suppose it must be in ripple too.

I’m going to be doing a baby blanket but am unsure of what colours to do as it’s not yet known what it is. If I wait until that time, it may not be finished! I am thinking of doing a chevron rather than ripple for a change.

2. Claire says:

Ah, I enjoyed reading that post even if you think you haven’t been doing much to write about. I am suffering similar issues with a little boy, so I feel your pain. However, I also have older ones so I KNOW that it DOES get easier! Love your blanket- you’re a very clever lady. Do you really like joining squares together??!!!! I hate it, and it seems to take sssooooooo long! x

3. Kath says:

I’m over half the way through a solid squares blanket for our king size bed. 208 squares down, 16 to go, but then I have to whipstitch them together, and like Claire above, I really don’t enjoy that bit. It’s reached the stage where I realise it isn’t going to look like the idea in my head, but it’s too late to turn back now…. Oh why did I decide to do squares instead of ripply stripes?

Hope the sleep ‘training’ is making progress and not causing either of you too much trauma.

• Heather says:

Kath, I crochet them together rather than whipstitching and I do actually like doing it. But, each to their own I suppose! And maybe do a ripple for your next blanket? You know you want to make another ;-)

4. Kerri says:

I love ripples too! We’ve been night weaning this week, and teaching baby to sleep on her own as she’s almost one year old (sob) and I can’t handle the night wakings anymore, and she wriggles to much to sleep in with me. After 2 nights using this plan my friend used that she paid a woman £250 for, it worked! We had 11 hours sleep! If you want it I can email it to you! Minimal crying, staying in the room with baby until they fall asleep. Oh how I missed sleep! Looking forward to seeing your blanket. Im currently doing a honey and roses blanket following your colours for my cousin, I love it!

• Heather says:

Thanks Kerri! We are doing ok though, Andy’s doing really well with him and even just in a week he will lay down and go to sleep in his bed so long as he can see Andy. I think the rest will come in time x

5. There is something very relaxing about the ripple blanket isn’t there, I think it must be the rhythm of it but boredom doesn’t set in due to the colour changes. Like you say they are fab when you have kiddies too as you can just pick it up, pop it down, pick it up , pop it down again …… the joys of having little ones in the house :-) Hope you get some proper sleep soon and little one gets used to his own bed x

6. Kerri says:

That’s great Heather! We do that too, and I was amazed at how quickly she adapted. No more feeding to sleep though which made me sad, only 3 feeds a day, I don’t feel needed. I love reading your blog!

7. Anne Marie says:

I’ve only just seen your reply, Heather, I have since tried a chevron and somehow couldn’t get the ends right. I’ll have another go before giving up though, although I’ve not got a lot of time. I would definitely do rainbow, as I love either the graduated coloured stripes or the contrast against contrast.