And then one day I ate a Chelsea Bun

Earlier today I mentioned to some friends that I had blogger’s block and no inspiration for what to write about. I had looked through my photos and felt like I’d not taken a bloggable photo for over a week, unless you count the one of a Chelsea Bun and I doubted that people would want to read about that. My friends suggested that perhaps people would like to hear about the Chelsea Bun. Well, they are very¬†good¬†Chelsea Buns from a newish baker to the town, Thomas the Baker. I think they are a small chain, I’ve seen them in York too. They do lots of things that are very tasty and probably quite bad for you, all told, but sometimes I am just plain unable to resist buying a Chelsea Bun and hiding it in my bag until naptime. After my scrumptious little boy is snoozing away in his stripy bed, I sneak quietly down the stairs and to my bag which is still hanging on the pushchair. I take the paper bag-wrapped bun from my bag to the kitchen and place it (not without ceremony) onto my prettiest plate. I boil the kettle and make a cup of tea, resisting the bun until the tea is made. Bun and tea come with me to the sofa and I sit and eat my bun (starting at one corner and then working diagonally), while watching something good on iPlayer. After that, I drink my tea and feel at once happy and bad for having eaten it and also triumphant that I’ve not had to share it with Tiny Tin Bird.

And there you have it: the story of the Chelsea Bun, and how I am trying to beat blogger’s block. I’ll try to do some more interesting things this week to write about!

x

28 thoughts on “And then one day I ate a Chelsea Bun

1. Anne Marie says:

I’m a bit like that, sometimes just don’t have anything at all of any note/interest to write about. I laughed at your bun eating decisions. I sometimes have difficult timing the eating and drink simultaneously. I’ve just eaten a French version – and eaten it round and round.

2. Liz T says:

Ooh Heather, I could just eat that Chelsea bun, it looks scrumptious, I’ll just have to imagine it instead. I wouldn’t have shared it either, us mums have to have an unshared treat now and again – it’s the law!

3. maryisidra says:

The rest of the world loves to know these little things! I am a fan of yours from Alabama USA. I have known you before during and after Little person. So tell me in your own words to someone that has never tasted one, What is a Chelsa Bun?? A fan: mary

4. Julie says:

Lovely plate. I would unwhirl the bun before eating it!
    Sometimes life is just like that, still good though
    Care to share any of the interesting things you watch on youtube?

5. Tracey Hatton says:

Hmm…. I really fancy a Chelsea bun now :-) Definitely a worthy blog topic…it reminds me of the nursery song I use to sing with my children called ‘Five sugar buns from the baker’s shop…’ xx

6. Your friends were absolutely right – reading about your Chelsea Bun made me smile on a grey and windy morning :)

I eat mine in a spiral, and try to make it last as long as my cup of tea. It’s funny how we all have our little rituals for these things that make them more than just eating something nice. It makes them into a real treat!

7. Sarah says:

Well, I enjoyed that post. Reminded me of apple cream turnovers when I was a student. And a wonderful lady who once rescued me with a pecan slice! Oh and Thomas the Baker…. best ever Yorkshire curd tarts…then there were the yum yums…cheese straws…and distinctive veg pasties…. Visiting friends in York… those were the days!

8. I think you have to enjoy these moments while you can. My best friend and I decided to leave our husbands to look after our respective children and went away for a weekend of chatting and doing what we wanted to do. It was wonderful, and we were both giddy with excitement at having afternoon tea On Our Own and not having to share the biscuits with anybody! Small people seem to think that they have the monopoly on tasty treats and as a Mum, you feel obliged to share. Eat the cake, I say, and don’t feel guilty! xx

9. I think you have to enjoy these moments while you can. My best friend and I decided to leave our husbands to look after our respective children and went away for a weekend of chatting and doing what we wanted to do. It was wonderful, and we were both giddy with excitement at having afternoon tea On Our Own and not having to share the biscuits with anybody! Small people seem to think that they have the monopoly on tasty treats and as a Mum, you feel obliged to share. Eat the cake, I say, and don\’t feel guilty! xx

10. Alison says:

Heather, that really made me laugh, the triumph of not sharing. Just wait until your TTB is older and is raiding the fridge. I often find that some scruptious item that I had been looking forward to has been scoffed by a grazing 15 year old who has just used it as stomach-fill, when I was looking forward to savouring said item. Crushing!

11. Kath says:

Definitely worth posting :-). For me, it has to be a cinnamon bun, eating it the swirly way round. I suspect it is the grown up equivalent of playing with my food. Which just proves that I have never really grown up!

12. Emmy says:

Mmmmm, looks scrumptious :) Here in the US I’m not familiar with “Chelsea Buns,” but they seem to me a lot like cinnamon rolls (which I adore). Good thing I just ate breakfast! ;)

Hope you get over blogger’s block, soon. Maybe you could start a new project and tell us all about it, or update us on how TTB is growing??

13. Emmy says:

Mmmmm, looks scrumptious :) Here in the US I’m not familiar with Chelsea Buns, but they seem to me a lot like cinnamon rolls (which I adore). Good thing I just ate breakfast! ;)

14. Sarah says:

Thank goodness for the trusty internet- Chelsea Buns are indeed very much like the cinnamon roll in USA. You should go to The Pioneer Womans website and attempt her cinnamon rolls just for the fun of it.. :) the are delish but be warned the recipe makes WAYYYYY more than anyone should have in their home. Good excuse to take some to your neighbors as gifts! HA

15. Melissa says:

Yep, its a cinnamon roll. They are OMG-Good. I know somebody who can make them and put Pioneer Woman to SHAME!