Christmas Spice Biscuits

Last year I watched Nigel Slater’s “12 Tastes of Christmas” and really really wanted to bake his Christmas Spice biscuits. They just looked and sounded so good! Realistically I had no time for baking last year so I just kept the idea tucked away at the back of my mind, knowing that I wanted to make them. You can watch the clip with the biscuits in just here (this may be UK only, sometimes the BBC won’t let you watch things abroad which is a bit mean.)

This year though, I have a one year old who naps consistently every day. Hurrah! Definitely making these biscuits this year. My other secret weapon was that my mum was staying with us, and she is a brilliant baker. The best part about baking with my mum is that I get to do the fun stuff (weighing out, cutting out, taking photos, tasting) and she does all the hard graft (mixing, rolling, oven, washing up). This might sound like I’m lazy, and you’d be right. My mum assures me that she likes doing it though, and we had loads of fun making them. Shall I tell you a secret though? We made these festive biscuits way back in September when she visited for Yarndale. Out of season, but we had a really lovely day and even broke out the Christmas mugs for our post-baking tea and biscuit tasting session.

See? Happy!

I couldn’t find a copy of the recipe online by Nigel Slater himself, but I used the one from this blog post. The only thing to watch out for is that in the video clip it says two tablespoons of treacle and in the blog post it says two teaspoons. I didn’t notice until afterwards but it tasted fine with two teaspoons. I also omitted the cardamom pods because I really don’t like the taste. I know that they are a pretty crucial flavour to Nigel but I don’t like them so they didn’t go in, SO THERE.

We decided on stars and little birds because the shop had a bird cutter and it would have been rude not to buy it. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s a little tin bird but near enough, yes?

Straight out of the oven they look so pretty! We iced the with lemon glace icing (icing sugar mixed with lemon juice) and it they tasted DIVINE. My icing skills are shocking but they tasted amazing despite not being pretty enough to take a photo of.

Rather helpfully I don’t have any other details for you such as how many biscuits this recipe makes but I can tell you that they are delicious and that I ate far too many.

You must go and make these biscuits though, they are so good. I’m tempted to make some during nap time tomorrow. Even TTB liked them. He is partial to a biscuit but I wasn’t sure he’d like the spice. Happily (?) he did although that did mean we had to eat them in secret from then on.

What are you waiting for? Go and bake some biscuits and make your kitchen smell amazing and then eat them and come and tell me that you loved them :-) Go go go!

x

14 thoughts on “Christmas Spice Biscuits

1. Cookie baking will commence here as well! Your first photo of the spices has me drooling, I also like that combo.
    We have a huge box of cookie cutters in all shapes and sizes. But today I bought new ones…Ninja Kickers! My boys will love it . Will through a few snowflakes and stars in, in the side ;-)

2. Sue says:

The biscuits look yummy.

I know that I am odd as I love ginger cake and hate ginger biscuits :-) I might experiment one day with a biscuit recipe.

Soon I will have the challenge of making wheat, gluten and dairy free mince pies. I might need biscuits to get over the stress.

3. lisa says:

I am in heaven in Canada…yes the Nigel clips came up (thank you BBC)with access to his side bar for more. I can feel a surge of baking happiness approaching. I shall explore it more this evening then make out my baking shopping list. Thank you.
    Sue…I also love ginger cake , and fresh ginger tea, but feel quite ill after ginger biscuits so avoid them.

4. Wendy Willis says:

Hey Heather. They look yummy. If you want a new recipe, I love fruity cookies on bbc good food . Oh my word! They are delicious. Makes the kitchen smell all Christmasy. X

5. I think the festive season will begin in our house this weekend so maybe I can persuade the clan away from their usual baking of fairy cakes and try some biscuits. I have some lovely snowflake cutters that have barely been used too. I know it sounds mean but I don’t feel too sorry for overseas peeps not getting BBC stuff – they don’t have to pay the flippin’ licence fee do they (which I think is worth every penny by the way)?

6. lisa says:

My pleasure at being able to watch the three minute segments of Nigel was that Heather had hoped her ‘away’ friends would be able to share in her blog. (I don’t think the BBC will be bankrupt from that ), North America CAN access the BBC TV, not the full schedule ( Robin Hood looms large ) but fear not, it has to be paid for, it’s not free.

7. lisa says:

My pleasure at being able to watch the three minute segments of Nigel was that Heather had hoped her \’away\’ friends would be able to share in her blog. (I don\’t think the BBC will be bankrupt from that ), North America CAN access the BBC TV, not the full schedule ( Robin Hood looms large ) but fear not, it has to be paid for, it\’s not free.

8. Liz says:

Heather, I was having a look on the BBC Food website and if I’ve understood things correctly the twelve tastes of Christmas is repeated starting next Sunday 8 December.

9. Gloria J Wellington says:

Thanks for the tip of where to go Heather. The recipe looks divine and so do some others he was making for Christmas. It may be hot over here in sunny North Queensland, Australia, but we’ll still enjoy the lovely Christmasy smells and tastes.
    Cheers