My Birthday – 27

I bought myself a sunny sunflower for my birthday. I saw it on the market the day before and didn’t even try to talk myself out of buying it. It’s BIG and YELLOW and BRIGHT and it is a BIRTHDAY FLOWER and therefore totally justified.

A bag of shiny, juicy, red cherries came home with me as well. It’s traditional to have cherries on my birthday – just one of the many reasons why a June birthday is lovely. (One of the other reasons is that I get presents evenly distributed throughout the year as it’s 6 months between Christmas and my birthday. Selfish? Yes!)

Lucy and I had planned on an Outing for my birthday but we messed up the planning with buses – a quick rethink was in order! All the best plan-rethinking needs coffee and cake so we popped to our favourite cafe to do just that. It was baking hot so I enjoyed a delicious mango slushie. Oh and carrot cake – did you know that it’s also traditional that calories don’t count on your birthday?

A butterfly sunning itself greeted us at the start of our walk. We walked under castle and then left the heat of the sun and entered the cool shade of the woods. The light was amazing and in places illuminated the wild garlic in a perfect spotlight. The last photo isn’t edited in any way (I don’t edit any photos as you may have noticed … for better or worse eh.). We stopped at the Big Pond for a tomatoes & cherries picnic and for TTB to stretch his legs and have a cuddle and for Little B to play. TTB liked it when we went into the woods as I could remove his makeshift sunshade and let him see out. I refuse to pay £30 for a bugaboo parasol but two pegs and a muslin do the job!

Walking through the woods is a curious thing. They are about five minutes walk from the town centre yet when you arrive it is like entering a different world. The light is different, the atmosphere is different, it feels special and secret and like there may be fairies there. It feels like I’m walking through the woods in an Enid Blyton book (specifically the Ring O’Bells Mystery!) with a wicker basket picnic complete with boiled eggs in their shells complete with some salt in a twist of brown paper and that any minute we will arrive at a tiny cottage with a well for drinking water in the garden. Perhaps it is a different world? It’s magical in the summer and was breathtaking in the winter of 2010. A very special place indeed.

All of the magical walking/light/garlic/tree/pond appreciation made us hungry so we did a U-turn and headed to the Italian restaurant for lunch. I had a gorgeous vegetable pasta dish, and TTB was happy in his highchair sharing my food and his own lunch for the whole meal. What a lovely birthday :-)

18 thoughts on “My Birthday – 27

1. Sue says:

Belated birthday greetings.

I love the photo of the peacock butterfly. I have not seen one yet this year. Butterflies in general have been scarce this year which is not good.

2. Anna-Marie says:

Hi Heather, And a very big HAPPY birthday from me to you!!!There most certainly are fairies in the woods, don’t you know??!!!! In your part of the world they are very busy painting flowers at the moment!!! Hope you have a fab and very happy week ahead!!!
    Love
    AMarie

3. carol partridge says:

Hope you had a really good day. Happy Birthday, Heather. Wow ..you managed an Italian meal on top of that HUGE slice of cake. Well done! Love your woods pictures. We came to Skipton on a day trip. Did the market and were unaware of what the surroundings were like. Didn’t even see the canal! We intend to come again because between you…you and Lucy do a good job for the tourism in your area ha ha. Love reading your blog.[ I read Lucy’s too.]
    best wishes Carol. x

4. carol partridge says:

Hope you had a really good day. Happy Birthday, Heather. Wow ..you managed an Italian meal on top of that HUGE slice of cake. Well done! Love your woods pictures. We came to Skipton on a day trip. Did the market and were unaware of what the surroundings were like. Didn\’t even see the canal! We intend to come again because between you…you and Lucy do a good job for the tourism in your area ha ha. Love reading your blog.[ I read Lucy\’s too.]
    best wishes Carol. x

5. One-oh-four says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It sounds like you had a lovely day, even if you did get the buses wrong somehow…..and there’s nothing selfish about loving having a birthday in June! We have some family friends where both the Mum and one of the daughters have their birthday on Christmas Day – they always have a party on June 25th to celebrate their half birthday. Love your photos, the ones in the woods are stunning!

6. claire c says:

So glad you had a lovely birthday and the sun shone for you. I love the tradition of cherries on your birthday…for me it’s a September birthday and the tradition is blackberries…I think the seasonal fruit on your birthday does become your favourite! Hope TTB is completely well now, and you’re all ok!
    Claire x

7. Carrie says:

Happy birthday Heather, Claire is probably right that your birthday fruit becomes your favourite – for me it’s always been strawberries . G;ad you had a good day! and your photos are great.

8. Hi Heather, Happy Birthday ! I love all the pictures you have shared and your description of the woods. Sunshine and good friends, yummy food and flowers…..sounds perfect :0)
    Jacquie x

9. Jo says:

Happy birthday to you. Sounds like you had a lovely day. I agree, June birthdays are the best. I still have mine to come, if it is half as nice as yours I will be happy- but I doubt it as I will be working x

10. Liz says:

Happy Birthday Heather!

My youngest was born 2 days after Christmas, bad planning on his parents part! So to compensate we have a half official birthday! So on the 28th June we celebrate his birthday! Much better and he has separate pressies as people would say “oh it`s your birthday pressie aswell!”

Oh and I use to do the same with muslins, they have a thousand uses!!

11. Belated happy birthday! Mine was the 20th June and I always thought middle of the year was a great time for birthdays – as a child I used to start my birthday list after Christmas and Christmas list after my birthday! (Its just dawned on me I have been an obsessive list maker for a very long time…!) Sadly I have 20 years on you, goodness knows where they went! Hope you had a lovely day x